RE: localized.....

Subject: RE: localized.....
From: Kim Roper <kim -dot- roper -at- vitana -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 16:57:46 -0500

Oooh, that gets dicey ... one side of Ottawa has a higher percentage of
francophones than the other, and the businesses tend to reflect the mix.
Add the fact that one of the dominant languages in my neighbourhood is
Somali, closer to downtown we have Chinese and Vietnamese, even closer it's
Italian ... and then on the *other* side of the river that runs through
town, we have the city of Hull and the Quebec language police.

Errr, on the Ottawa side, we usually expect folks to speak either English or
French, although some community services are offered in different languages
(e.g., the health centre across the road from my residence does business in
English, French and Somali). However, the (rather prominent) local
high-tech sector works in English.

Cheers ... Kim
kim -dot- roper -at- vitana -dot- com