RE: a question about "atmospheric" benefits

Subject: RE: a question about "atmospheric" benefits
From: "Blaine, Karen L." <karen -dot- blaine -at- unisys -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 09:50:34 -0500

<Snip>
|This is a list of our "atmospheric" fringes: can you all let me know
|whether you think any of these (and which ones) make up for lower pay?

|free lunch every other week - so-so. How about breakfast every morning?
|free coffee, tea, and cocoa - just about every place I've worked provides
this
|flexible work hours - a real plus, especially for those with young
children, or other obligations
|occasional telecommuting acceptable (once a week is the standard) - another
plus, but won't make up for low pay
|casual dress - a plus, but most places are doing it
|a standard 40-hour week - this means more to some than to others, an iffy
sort of perk

A low pay scale wouldn't attract me to your company with the perks you
listed. As a high achiever, I'd want an opportunity at raises that reflect
my performance, a chance to get a bonus or a piece of the company in stock
or options as a reward for good performance whenever I or my product team
performs well. I'd need a promise of a better future of regular, generous
raises to a make a less competitive salary acceptable now, and a 401K with
company match.

I'd want to know that I was going to be a valued part of a good team, not
just a body to fill a position, and that there would be opportunities to
create new material as well as update past material. I'd want the
opportunity to improve my skills and update my knowledge regularly through
company paid training, seminars, conferences, tuition assistance, etc.

You did't mention anything about benefits. Do you have an attractive
medical/dental plan or only so-so? Do you offer a pleasant, even fun place
to work (on-site gym, nearby track, tennis courts, golf course, ping-pong,
darts - other tension relievers). What about the location of the office - is
it easy to get to, reasonably attractive, nearby shopping for lunch time
errands?

Hope this helps.
Karen

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230