RE: localized.....

Subject: RE: localized.....
From: salatas <salatas -at- micron -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 12:17:11 -0700

I always had trouble with the term "native language," because it seems to
imply a language that we were born speaking. I like "primary language." I
think I'll start using that.

Salette Latas
salatas -at- micron -dot- com

Martin Smith wrote:

Has the word native fallen into disfavor, as in English is my native
language or Arabic is my wife's native language?

Kim Roper responded:

In a country where people are bilingual or trilingual (or more), "native"
takes on a much smaller meaning.

I'm in Ottawa, the seat of our federal (bilingual) government. "Preferred
language," "language preference," and "primary language" are the phrases I
see most often, depending on the context. The last one tends to be used
more on application forms and surveys.

Dec. 7-8, 2000, Orlando, FL -- $100 discount for STC members. or 800-646-9989.