RE: Word Question

Subject: RE: Word Question
From: BMcClain -at- centura -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 10:59:24 -0500

Ken,

As one whom Eric has climbed all over for said negative feedback, allow me
to overcome some bad karma by trying to provide more detailed help.

"Generating a glossary" means, to me, identifying and defining certain words
and phrases. That's pretty much just another kind of writing, and it can be
pretty hard, too: The trickiest part is figuring out which terms the reader
will want to know the meanings of.

By starting with a concordance file, you'll have an exhaustive list of the
words you've used in your document. From these, you can choose which are
the best ones to define.

A search for "concordance software" on AltaVista identified this URL, which
you may find useful:

http://www.rjcw.freeserve.co.uk/

It looks like a neat product...I'm thinking of buying it myself.

Again, since the word-identifying part of glossing starts out like indexing
does, you might want to skim through what's involved in indexing. Besides
the F1-available help in Word, there's http://www.about.com. Do a search
for "indexing."

Hope this helps.

Bill McClain
("Writers are always selling somebody out." - Joan Didion)