REPRINT: Employers Reveal the Top Five Ways to Validate Online Degrees; LONG

Subject: REPRINT: Employers Reveal the Top Five Ways to Validate Online Degrees; LONG
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 10:34:35 -0800 (PST)

This got mailed to me through a service...since I cannot reference a
URL, I applogize for posting something this long...I just think it is
appropriate. BTW...I don't have a stake in was sent by my
brokerage clipping service:

Employers Reveal the Top Five Ways to Validate Online Degrees; Survey of Online Degrees Uncovers Trends in E-Learning

Business Wire - Wednesday, November 08, 2000

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--November 8, 2000--Although 61% of
employers believe that online degrees are not as credible as their
offline counterparts, job candidates can lend credibility to degrees
earned via the Internet, according to the 239 employers surveyed by, The Insider Career Network(TM) (

The top five ways for job candidates to bolster their e-degrees are:

1. Work Experience: compliment the degree with relevant work

2. Varied Coursework: supplement the degree with outside coursework
that demonstrates people skills (i.e. public speaking, debate, group
dynamics etc).

3. Offline Comparison: validate the online institution by comparing
it to its offline counterpart (i.e. GPA averages, alumni and
standards of admission).

4. Program Strengths: come prepared with detailed information on the
individual program (i.e. curriculum, grading criteria, and

5. Personal Credentials: bring a portfolio that includes transcripts,
teacher recommendations, sample work and tests.

These results are part of the first-ever Survey of Online
Degrees. The survey polled employers about their hiring practices and
attitudes towards candidates with online degrees. Employers also
provided their opinions on the degree's credibility, its major
drawbacks, and the industries most and least likely to embrace
candidates with online degrees.

For more information on the Survey of Online Degrees,
contact mrosenberger -at- staff -dot- vault -dot- com -dot-

In addition to studying workplace issues, is well known for
its award-winning "insider" company and industry profiles on
companies such as America Online (NYSE: AOL), AT&T (NYSE: T), (NASDAQ: PCLN), Citigroup (NYSE: C) and Cisco Systems

About is the leading new media company focused on careers and
human resources. Vault's primary offering is an online resource,, which offers detailed "insider" information on over
3,000 companies and 70 industries as well as the much-praised
Electronic WaterCooler(TM), the Internet's first-ever network of
expert-moderated message boards for professionals. Offline, Vault
offers nine nationally-distributed print books, a magazine, a
syndicated newspaper column, and networking events and conferences on
career and HR issues. For hiring managers and recruiters,
operates HR Vault, a comprehensive online resource featuring
top-quality HR content, message boards, free job listings, a resume
database, and a one-click job posting service that allows users to
post on multiple job boards with one account. was founded
in 1997 by Hussam Hamadeh, Samer Hamadeh, and Mark Oldman, together
recently named to the "Silicon Alley 100: New York's 100 Most
Influential Internet Executives." The company's investors include
Hollinger Capital, The Kuwait Fund, American Lawyer Media, Ingram
Book Group, DB Alex Brown, New York Investment Fund, Globix, and
angel investors David Rockefeller and Esther Dyson.

CONTACT:, New York
Mary Rosenberger
Phone: (212) 366-4212 ext. 230
E-mail: mrosenberger -at- staff -dot- vault -dot- com

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer, in process of looking
for next contract effective 1/1/2001.
"As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master."
-Abraham Lincoln

Do You Yahoo!?