Re: ballot usability

Subject: Re: ballot usability
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 12:13:53 -0800 (PST)

In article ORG -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com, JSoukup -at- at-track -dot- com ("Jonathan Soukup") writes:

>The other thing that I'm reminded of, is the last punch ballot I filled
>out (in another state of course). I remember seeing a statement saying
>something like:
>
>Punch only one candidate per election. If you make a mistake on your
>ballot, please see the election official for a new ballot.

I was happily saying that the lawsuit would probably be
thrown out because the people didn't ask for a new ballot
at the time until I realized two things:

* The voters would not necessarily have *realized* they
made an error at the time: they punched the second hole down
thinking it was a vote for Gore and would have merrily gone
on their way. It's only after the flaw in the ballot design
was in the news that many people would have realized that
they could have unwittingly made this mistake.

* Someone mentioned that an 18-year-old first-time voter
*did* ask for a new ballot and was not given one; her
ballot was put in the box by the precinct worker instead.

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with
janice -dot- gelb -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | this message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230