Re: ADMIN: FYI

Subject: Re: ADMIN: FYI
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 15:41:28 -0800 (PST)

In article ORG -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com, stpats -at- storm -dot- ca ("Stephen D. Martin") writes:

>Meek and mild may be all well and good for your clients, but this
>mailing list is like a private clubhouse; the Tech Writer Locker
>Room, if you will. When people post here they don't always worry
>about what a potential recruiter might think, they're just
>concentrating on getting a point across, and/or unwinding from
>whatever has them stressed, and/or not concentrating at all.

[snip]
>If you want to be able to provide your clients with someone who
>is going to deliver a quality product, then you need to worry
>less about the personality *you* perceive from their posts here,
>and concentrate on finding someone who:
>
>1) has the right technical skills and background, and
>2) has the people skills to connect with both the bosses, and the
>SMEs.
>
>That means that you actually have to make the effort to
>communicate with these people to discover whether your perception
>is faulty, they were just having a bad hair day, or they actually
>are assholes.

One of the reasons everyone is on this list is because they
value communication skills. I would hope that whatever
someone is like in person -- rude, boorish, whatever -- they
could control it in their messages here.

I don't care what potential recruiters think about messages
here. I do care what other posters to this list think. There
is a way to disagree with the content of someone's message,
and even with whether someone should have posted the message
at all, that does not comment on the likely level of that
person's intelligence, breeding, or suitability to be in
the profession.

Replies that deal with facts are fine, even if not elegant;
replies that contain personal comments or attacks are not.

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with
janice -dot- gelb -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | this message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html

"Politics is show business for ugly people" -- James Carville

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230