RE: ballot usability

Subject: RE: ballot usability
From: LORITWR -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 18:54:44 EST

As I'm from FL, I feel I must weigh in...

The ballot for each county in FL is designed differently. In my county, the
ballots were printed on extra long paper (I think 14") with a perforated tag
on one end. All the president/vice president candidates were listed in the
left column with an oblong circle that we had to COMPLETELY blacken with a
special pencil that was provided. The circle was quite large too. It was
quite a coloring lesson.

Also a voting booth as I remember with a curtain and some semblance of
privacy is an unknown item in my county. I voted on a flat surface about hip
height that had legs unfolded beneath it and side flaps for "privacy." My
neck was quite stiff when I finished. Many folks in my polling location just
sat out in the open to complete the ballots in a little more comfort.

After I completed the ballot , I slipped it into a plastic sleeve with a
perforated tag sticking out. I handed the contraption to the official, who
tore off the perforation and slipped the ballot into a metal box.

Yes, I am describing an antiquated system. Perhaps we should spend some
money on designing and distributing voting booths that would give everyone
equal access. And instead of having politicians designing ballots, have
usability experts design them. But now I've really gone off topic (sorry
Eric).

Lori Corbett

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230