RE: Chuck Martin's take on "Assuming too much responsibility"

Subject: RE: Chuck Martin's take on "Assuming too much responsibility"
From: "Cummings, Elizabeth" <CummEl -at- ncs -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 09:17:52 -0600

User who blame themselves often don't know that it can be done better in the
first place, having alrady yanked most of their hair out from years of the
frustration of dealing with poor design.
----
Well said, Chuck. Thank you.

I have dealt with many a student who, mere moments after being handed what I
deem to be a succinctly stated lesson in a clear design, would appear at my
side and, casting the piece of paper on my desk top (the old fashioned
kind), muttered flippantly, "I don't get it," not pointing to a particular
word, phrase, or step.

At first, this drove me nuts. I'd spelled out the lesson briefly in person,
prior to handing out the hard copy, to cover the needs of all types of
learners. I tried to model lessons as much as possible, to cover the needs
of all types of learners. Even so, I got "I don't get it."

Not to make excuses, because I know that some kids (and adults) are just
damn lazy and inconsiderate, I did begin to think as Chuck notes here--that
a lot of people are so accustomed to receiving poorly designed information
that even when well-designed info comes their way, they are of the mindset
that they won't get it. This also comes about in situations where the
subject matter is something that the person has always felt he or she can't
comprehend. Many of my friends, for instance, say that the mere mention of
math and stats makes their heads spin, as they recall their many failed
attempts at taking tests, balancing checkbooks, filing taxes.

--Elizabeth Cummings

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230