Format of GUI element names

Subject: Format of GUI element names
From: Steve Shepard <STEVES -at- YARDI -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 11:13:41 -0800

I was wondering what style guidelines are being used out there when
identifying the names of interface elements. When you write, "Click the Save
button." Do you set off "Save" somehow? Do you make it bold, italics,
surround it with square brackets as in [Save], etc.?

I know many people set them off some how so it is easy to identify the fact
they are interface elements, but coming from a design background, I find a
page of scattered bold words to be more visually confusing than helpful.

The reason I bring this up is we have acquired another company and their
documentation puts these elements in square brackets (which I find
particularly distasteful from a design perspective) and of course we now
have a small controversy on our hands.

Any thoughts?
Steven Shepard
Manager, Documentation Group