Re: Florida ballot

Subject: Re: Florida ballot
From: figmo -at- rahul -dot- net (Lynn Gold)
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 14:49:28 -0800 (PST)

It was awkward enough in California trying to line up the right punch holes
with the right names. My eyesight is starting to go, and I can only
imagine what it's like for someone in their 70s.

When I lived in New Jersey we voted in a mechanized booth. I liked that
much better for a variety of reasons:

.You could change your vote as many times as you wanted without having to

.There was a curtain hiding you so nobody could see how you voted (and I'm
sorry, but someone good at looking at punch cards can tell who and what
you voted for).

.Only when the curtain opened were your votes final.

If someone wanted to throw my local election, all they had to do was punch
holes in the right places (anyone could look at the voter pamphlet to know
where to put 'em!) and dumped them into the ballot box.

I can see where the Palm Beach ballot would have been confusing, especially
if someone was covering the ballot with one hand while filling it out with
the other.

--Lynn

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230