Re: The "Too Familiar" problem

Subject: Re: The "Too Familiar" problem
From: rvantour -at- mondenet -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon Nov 13 10:09:59 EST 2000

<<I have to write some very general introductory material for some software I've been documenting at a detailed level, and I'm having trouble looking at it from the outside.
Anyone having any thoughts, point of view, etc., on how to handle this?>>

I sometimes bring overview or general information about a product home to my wife.

She can point out terms that aren't clear or concepts that, as a new user, she would be unfamiliar with.

Maybe there is someone in the office who isn't familiar with the product (receptionist?) who could give it a quick read.

Try to find someone who matches fairly well with your intended audience in terms of language, education etc. and see how they respond.

New employees are also good and it gets them involved. Rather that just reading the manual to familiarize themselves with the product they can offer constructive feedback as new users.

You'll still have to try to see the product through new eyes to write the material but I find these methods help keep the general information from getting too specific.

Rick Vantour

Sent through the Mondenet Technical Services Inc.
Web-based Email Reader Ebarua
http://ebarua.mondenet.com/

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230