The "Too Familiar" problem

Subject: The "Too Familiar" problem
From: David Downing <DavidDowning -at- users -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 09:56:07 -0500

One reasons that developers/programmers don't do such a hot job of
documenting their own software is that they're too familiar with it. They
can't "back off" and look at it through the eyes of the poor user who's just
taking it out of the box and doesn't know diddly about how it works.

Well, I'm finding writers can end up in the same boat. I have to write some
very general introductory material for some software I've been documenting
at a detailed level, and I'm having trouble looking at it from the outside.
Anyone having any thoughts, point of view, etc., on how to handle this?