Slightly OT: Date Range Formatting

Subject: Slightly OT: Date Range Formatting
From: Robert Hooker <rlhooker -at- flashcom -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: 13 Nov 2000 05:02:34 -0800

I am looking for some informed opinions on an interface design issue.

My company makes a number of software products that depend heavily on users entering date ranges to look up various kinds of records. Depending on the whim of the programmer or what someone asserts "has always been done this way," we have three different formats for the screen prompts for these date ranges. (In all three cases, the intention is to include both the beginning and ending dates in the search.)

1. FROM: mm/dd/yyyy THRU: mm/dd/yyyy
2. FROM: mm/dd/yyyy TO: mm/dd/yyyy
3. ON OR AFTER: mm/dd/yyyy ON OR BEFORE: mm/dd/yyyy

Additional info: Most of our software packages have standardized on FROM: and THRU:

What do you think, and why? Are there any studies out there on this issue?

Thanks
Bob Hooker

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230