RE: ForeHelp to RoboHelp Transition

Subject: RE: ForeHelp to RoboHelp Transition
From: "David Demyan" <dbdemyan -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 22:24:29 -0500

Anna asked:

So here are my questions. How much more functionality might I expect with
RoboHelp? Is it easier to work between Frame documents and RoboHelp
documents? How much time should I expect to need to get up to speed with
RoboHelp if I learn quickly?

I use both regularly and know their respective strengths and weaknesses.
a) Functionality. The only real function RH supports that FH does
not is export to Oracle Help for Java. Otherwise, the two tools
are about equal in what they can produce. (Note that ease-of-use
is another issue.)
b) Importing Frame documents into any other help tool is a pain.
The filters are all deficient. This is mainly due to the richness
of content in the FrameMaker .MIF file. No way can Frame graphics,
for example, be preserved in any translation. FH and RH are about
equal here.
c) If you know Word, you'll have little trouble learning RoboHelp.
A quick learner can get up to speed pretty quickly.
d) The question you implied but did not ask: What is the difference
in ease-of-use? Is RH as easy to use as FH? My answer would be no.
There is nothing in the help world that I have seen that would be
easier to use and as foolproof as ForeHelp. However, I believe
RoboHelp has more power and allows more formatting flexibility.

Good luck,

Dave.

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230