Re: Are Zip drives obsolete?

Subject: Re: Are Zip drives obsolete?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 10:14:19 -0800

"Peter Shea (USF)" wrote:
> I was pondering getting one, but I thought about writable CDs. Opinions?

Personally, I use an old Syquest Syjet drive for daily backups. With
1.5 gigabytes, I can backup my essential files with no problem. And,
since the disks are removable hard drives, they are more robust than
zips, so long as I don't try removing them while they're still

The only drawback is that the syjet disks aren't readily available
any more. The two I have are useful for backups, but I don't know
what I'll do when they go.

Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux
604.421.7189 bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com

"Rugen: Are you still trying to win?
Inigo: Hello. My name is Inigo de Montoya. You killed my father.
Prepare to die."
-William Goldman, screenplay for "The Princess Bride"