RE: beyond RoboHELP

Subject: RE: beyond RoboHELP
From: jarnopol <jarnopol -at- interaccess -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 00 13:47:07 -0600

Dana Briggs <Dana -dot- Briggs -at- AppliedDiscovery -dot- com> wrote:
Perhaps the more important issue is -- do you need have the specific
technical knowledge to gain the position or should the company provide the
training for non-common technologies (which I would consider RoboHelp to be)?

I believe, for most technical writers, HATs are common technology. Maybe not
RoboHelp specifically, but some sort of online help authoring tool seems to be
required, at least in the midwest of the US, if you are seeking work in a
variety of areas.

That said, I firmly believe the more tricks you have in your personal toolbox,
the better off you are. No, this does not supplant true technical knowledge,
for instance the ability to read code or a background in pharmaceuticals.
Instead, it adds to your versatility. If however, you want to limit yourself
to a specific media, that's your choice.