Re: natural language queries

Subject: Re: natural language queries
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- home -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 21:28:04 -0500

Justin Kelley wrote:

> Does anyone have experience with enabling natural language queries in their
> help systems? Or have experience with tools that enable it. I create
> htmlhelp for my product.
>
> Right now I'm examining a tool made by WexTech (Doc-to-Help) called
> AnswerWorks. It works pretty well but there's a lot of files that need to be
> distributed with it for it to work on an end users system. My engineering
> manager likes the idea but he's concerned by all the dlls being installed
> the windows system 32 directory. He wants to be sure they won't cause
> incompatibilities with other Windows software programs.
>
> Also, does anyone know if Microsoft distributes their natural language query
> capability as a .dll or an open API to include in your product's help
> system. For example, in Microsoft Word Help, you can use an Answer Wizard.
>

>From my playing around, it is not quite ready for prime time.
YMMV, so go to msdn.microsoft.com and download SQL Server evaluation,
which includes the English Query Module. This is also available in the
developer edition of MSDE. Also see
http://www.microsoft.com/SQL/downloads/semantic.asp

The above should get you started on doing your own feasibility study.
BTW I have been doing some work in this area, in particular combining NL
with voice commands. Just to learn this stuff. I do not have any
particular assignment in mind for its use, but I like to spend some time
keeping ahead. I think that NL combined with VR is the wave of the
future.

--
Peter

There are few situations in life that cannot be resolved
promptly, and to the satisfaction of all concerned,
by either suicide, a bag of gold,
or thrusting a despised antagonist over a precipice on a dark night.
Ernest Bramah (Kai Lung stories)

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230