RE: Displays versus Appears-Which One

Subject: RE: Displays versus Appears-Which One
From: "Hager, Harry (US - East Brunswick)" <hhager -at- dc -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 06:14:17 -0800

Mario,

This is another one of those recurring battles in tech writing.

I avoid this battle and have a solution that does not need the use of
"displays" or "appears."

I use the word "opens" as in the following:

Select ABC. The ABC window opens.

Another nice thing about this technique is that the opposite action for
opening the window is closing the window.

It's simple. Windows open. Windows close. The window opens. The window
closes.

This eliminates the displays/appears problem.

What word would you use for the opposite action of displaying the window?
What word would you use for the opposite action of the window appearing
(disappearing?)?

If the situation somehow demands a choice between displays and appears, I
use displays and I have an object for the transitive verb displays, as in
the following:

Select ABC. The program displays the ABC window. (The program
displays the ABC list.)

I once had a tech writing manager (in 1985) that did not permit the use of
appears because he said that the only things that appear are ghosts.

H. Jim Hager
Deloitte Consulting
hhager -at- dc -dot- com