Future Tense in Tech Writing

Subject: Future Tense in Tech Writing
From: "Hager, Harry (US - East Brunswick)" <hhager -at- dc -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 06:13:50 -0800

Hi,

In the thread "display vs. appears" there were a few responses suggesting
the use of future tense, as in the following:

1. Click ABC. The ABC window will (your word of choice).

Forget about the "display" part. We've successfully beaten that dead horse
to a pulp; at least until the next time. I want to talk about the "will"
part.

How many of you use future tense in your technical writing?

I've always avoided using future tense in technical writing. I've been
taught and have taught others that future tense in technical writing is a
big no no.

The only reason I'm writing this is that nobody else has mentioned it so
far. This surprises me.

I alway use present tense when I document procedures. (In rare cases, I'll
use future tense if the action I'm talking about produces several results or
leads to several possibilities and some are discussed somewhere else in the
book. I might use future tense when it's clear that the result of the action
occurs in a different timeframe, such as what might happen when I'm
documenting procedures for our operations group [submit a form online at
noon and the night shift operations group performs certain actions at
midnight.] Even then I generally opt to exclude future tense.)

Why use present tense only? When a user is reading a set of instructions and
performing a set of instructions, each step is occurring in the present
tense as related to the user. Click ABC. ABC window opens. Click Close. ABC
window closes. Each action leads to a reaction and as the user goes through
the actions, everything happens in the present tense, as related to the
user.

Another reason is that is is easier to read, easier to scan the steps
(MS-MOS book).

I've always considered this (using present tense) as one of the basic rules
of technical writing.

Am I wrong?

I get the digest, so I will not be able to reply interactively to any
queries or comments directed my way until tomorrow.

H. Jim Hager
hhager -at- dc -dot- com

intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If
you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and are
hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230