Re: tech writer bookshelf

Subject: Re: tech writer bookshelf
From: Michele Davis <michele -at- krautgrrl -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 13:16:25 -0600

Well thank you Guy for your opinion. I disagree. I think the Art of Indexing is
very good for any tech writers library. I also learned Java and Perl from the In

a Nutshell series, but then again I already knew I had to learn them, I didn't
need to know when or why. I was recommending them because they are my favorites
in my library.

My comment about CMS, I wouldn't bother. It's difficult to read, and completely
unhelpful when you really need some nugget of information, as a new writer
you're better off with Sun's book, or MS MOS. But what you should really do is
analyze the products you own and their style of documentation for what standards

are. If you're looking for books to teach you how to be a writer, or a better
writer, Tufte isn't going to do that as he is more into the methodology of
creating illustrations and graphics to help you present your information a
certain way. The best bet to becoming a better writer is to write, and possibly
go to grad school where people pick your writing apart. Tufte's books are
visually appealing, but IMO aren't necessary to your library. And at around ~$50

a pop, expensive to boot.

I agree with Guy to get a good dictionary, or do what I do, use www.m-w.com

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230