Streaming Video for Technical Communications

Subject: Streaming Video for Technical Communications
From: "Thomas Quine" <quinet -at- home -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 09:12:18 -0800

I've been looking at streaming video as an alternate information delivery
system lately, and I think I see a lot of potential. I'm interested in your
opinions...
I got this link in an email yesterday, and it shows some of the potential.
It's a presentation/explanation of what streaming video is. (I am in no way
whatsoever associated with this company, I just think this is an example of
what can be done).
Click this link, then click on the eye.
http://www.seeitfirst.com/videoabc/
Notice some of the features they've built around the video - a visual TOC,
closed captioning, a synchronized PowerPoint presentation. Unfortunately,
they need to hire a graphic designer - it's pretty ugly.
Almost every project I'm on these days requires a "blended" solution, some
Web, some training, some printed materials, some online help, etc. I think
streaming video has come to the point where it can be considered as a viable
component of a well-rounded solution.
I know that Cisco is using very similar technology for Web-based training.
Anyone out there thought of using video for technical communications, i.e.,
just for information dissemination?
- Thom

Thom Quine
www.documen.com