Word Problem, take II

Subject: Word Problem, take II
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 08:39:51 -0500

Grace Fielder reports <<I am working on a Mac but didn't know that Word98
was Mac only, which is why I didn't mention it. A lot of the suggestions are
PC specific which is why I can't find the ~temp files etc.>>

Word98 is Word97 in sheepish clothing. <g> The temporary files (might be
called work files) are definitely there in the same folder as the file
you're working on; to see what one looks like, open a document, type a few
words, then save it. You'll see a new file in the folder you found that
document in (if you sort the files by creation date in List view, you'll see
it right at the top of the list). That's the file you're looking for. Word
sometimes manages to clean up these files (it always does when it exits
normally) even after a crash, usually when you launch it, so it may have
already deleted these files.

<<One thing that puzzles me is that I had the auto backup box checked but I
can't actually find the backups anywhere...not helpful!>>

Look in the Preferences dialog box under "Files". There should be a path
name telling you where Word is saving these files. I thought the default is
that they're stored in the same folder as the original, but I could be
wrong.

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

"Technical writing... requires understanding the audience, understanding
what activities the user wants to accomplish, and translating the often
idiosyncratic and unplanned design into something that appears to make
sense."--Donald Norman, The Invisible Computer

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230