Re: Real value (was implementing single-source) - demonstrated!

Subject: Re: Real value (was implementing single-source) - demonstrated!
From: Damien Braniff <dbraniff -at- iss-dsp -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 09:13:05 +0000

I've been following this thread with some interest and see valid points on both
sides. As somebody said earlier, XML only really comes into its own once a
critical mass has been achieved. As with everything it shouldn't be seen as the
be all and end all - benefits depend on the situation.

Having said that I have a question for the single source gurus. I've no real
experience in single sourcing (but may be beneficial in the future) but I have,
in the past, created both hard copy and online docs for systems - traditional
manuals, PDFs (basically a way for the company to cut down on printing and also
to let the user only print what they needed) and online help and so to the nub
of my question. From help I've written (and good help I've used) the same
information has been available in both the docs and the help. HOWEVER, the
structure has been significantly different - doc is essentially a flow; help is
'block' based and I've never been able (well rarely) to simply lift the text
from the doc and plonk it into the help. How is this handled in single source?
Do you have to compromise on either the doc or help?

Damien Braniff
--
Damien Braniff
Technical Author