RE: Real value (was implementing single-source) - demonstrated!

Subject: RE: Real value (was implementing single-source) - demonstrated!
From: edunn -at- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 09:47:30 -0500

"Glenn Emerson" wrote:
"That's not single source. It's content management. Show me how your SGML DTD
or XML DTD for textual instructions can generate the moving images. That's
single source. It's a myth."

Well what can I say? I must have been in a trance for the last two years. Seeing
as currently, we have been (and are) producing SGML documents using FrameMaker
that are then held in a "repository" and published (through FM templates) to 3
different hard copy manuals (including a 4000 page parts catalog & several
thousand page overhaul manual) and to an Interactive Electronic Technical Manual
(IETM). The IETM incorporates sound files and video files which are referenced
by elements in the DTD.

While we are in the planning stages for a content management system, we do not
yet have one.

Clearly by your definition we have clearly broken into some alternate reality.
Maybe it's just because we're Canadian.

A DTD only defines where the desired components should go. Where is it stated
that all XML has to include exclusively text? SGML/XML/HTML all deal with
multimedia content in the same manner. XML is just "tightened up" SGML (remember
that the XML' spec' is an addendum to the SGML spec so it isn't necessarily
simpler) and HTML is just a limited and loose SGML instance.

I think the confusion here is the "textual instructions can generate the moving
images". No, the text does not create moving images. Movies, sound, effects,
still illustrations are all referenced files and scripts. Are you going to tell
me next that HTML generates moving images? Single source is not generating
everything from one text file. Single source is creating one data set and then
exploiting it for a number of outputs (1 SGML file to 3 manuals and an IETM. Or
for the computer industry and often discussed here 1 set of master files to hard
copy, help, HTML, and others.).

Eric L. Dunn

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230