Re: "Chapter" vs "Appendix"

Subject: Re: "Chapter" vs "Appendix"
From: Jo Baer <jbaer -at- mailbox1 -dot- tcfbank -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 16:14:08 -0600

We tend to use appendices for lengthy tables, lists, etc. For example, the three
appendices in the manual I recently updated are Transaction Codes, Error
Messages, and Technical Modifications. The manual documents the teller system
for a bank. The chapters in the manual include an orientation to the system, and
instructions on how to use each aspect of the system. In other words, the
chapters are mostly narrative, while the appendices are more likely to be lists
and tables and (in the case of Technical Modifications)
historical/chronological.

I have included troubleshooting materials in the regular chapters in some
manuals because it's often necessary for the operator to refer to the
troubleshooting material to complete a procedure. That probably depends on what
you're documenting.

Jo
--
Jo Baer