Re: language and communication

Subject: Re: language and communication
From: Dan Emory <danemory -at- primenet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 15:29:23 -0800

At 12:04 PM -0500 24/11/00, Dan Emory wrote:

>Catering to the "post-literate" world only guarantees that it will arrive. All of
>the concern >shown on this list about preciseness of language for the sake of unambiguous
>clarity is lost if text is replaced by cartoons and movie clips.

And Pat Anderson replied:

IF the precision of the language is not understood by the "post-literate" audience,
can the meaning be communicated?
Surely you'd agree that this post-literate audience is the product of our school system, and the
solution is not to cater to them but to improve the schools where they became post-literate.

Other solutions for the post-literate include:

1. Put them on Ritalin and so they will be more capable of
getting something out of remedial reading classes.

2. Don't hire them, which will motivate them to become literate,
else their employment potential will be nil.
| Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
Voice/Fax: 949-722-8971 E-Mail: danemory -at- primenet -dot- com
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646
majordomo -at- omsys -dot- com with "subscribe framers" (no quotes) in the body.