Re: language and communication

Subject: Re: language and communication
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 18:55:47 -0800

Dan Emory wrote:

> Catering to the "post-literate" only guarantees that it will arrive. All of
> the concern
> shown on this list about preciseness of language for the sake of unambiguous
> clarity is lost if text is replaced by cartoons and movie clips.

Funny how the post-literate world looks remarkably like the
pre-literate world. :-)

Not that non-literate forms of communication should be despised.
Oral cultures, for example, produce people with extraordinary
memories, capable (as in archaic Greece) of remembering thousands of
lines, or of composing them on the fly or (as in early Scandinavia)
of memorizing dozens of laws and precedents. I remember a late novel
by Mary Renault in a Greek bard of about 500 BCE laments that his
student writes things down, because written information can be
easily corrupted and because he is afraid that his student's memory
will become uncertain.

However, for the types of detailed information that tech writers
ordinarily deal with, the written word does seem the best medium,
even though it isn't necessarily the only medium.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"If religion is the opium of the people, then TV is the heroin."
- Kev Carmody

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230