Re: UK Style Guides

Subject: Re: UK Style Guides
From: Damien Braniff <dbraniff -at- iss-dsp -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 14:04:07 +0000

> Grace,

In over 15 years writing the only UK style guides I've come across have been:

military guides
one or two house styles

In most cases they were so wooly as to next to useless - a lot of it was a
matter of interpretation. At one place I worked we got around this by:

creating a model chapter detailing how heading, body text, lists etc
were done. This was the main reference -in essence it was a template
that eveyone followed. (Being for the MoD we got it signed off

A list of preferred spelling, abbreviations etc.

This was initially going to be the basis of a style guide but it never got that
far - what was there worked fine and nobody saw the need (or had the time!) to
progress it any further.

If you're creating your own in-house guide then I'd suggest you sit down and
decide exactly what you NEED in it, what you'd LIKE in it and go from there.

Damien Braniff

Damien Braniff
Technical Author
Integrated Silicon Systems Ltd. Tel: +44 28 90 50 4000
50 Malone Road Fax: +44 28 90 50 4001
Belfast BT9 5BS Web: