Re: The cost of producing printed documentation

Subject: Re: The cost of producing printed documentation
From: "Donn S Le Vie, Jr." <dlevie -at- austin -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 18:23:12 -0600

Years back when I was with Motorola, we put together a comprehensive study
that looked into the total cost (from development to print to delivery) of
microprocessor reference guides and developers manuals. We also benchmarked
our study with other similar technology companies. Our study was to promote
a single-source database publishing initiative. We showed how Motorola could
save over $2.6M in publishing costs within 3 years, but the project died
because the middle management empire overruled the upper management
preferences.

One such company who makes Instruments in Texas has these stats (1998):

Data sheet: $67.55 per page/2.8 hours per page development time/50 calendar
days mean cycle time
All other: $85.33 per page/2.4 hours per page/131 calendar days mean cycle
time

This particular business unit had 36 permanent staff (including
mgrs/supervisors), 54 on-site contractors, 22 off-site contractors, and 4
documentation support folks.

For Motorola (1998) Semiconductor Products Sector:

Ave. number of pages: 250
No. of days to complete (to go from spec to printer): 90
$96 per page labor cost or $200 per page including printing and distribution

If you want to make straight labor calculations, the Pricing Tables for
Desktop Services (1998, Fifth Edition) stated that the U.S. AVERAGE for
technical writing was $61.71 per hour or $87.50 per page. The TYPICAL U.S.
rate was $50.00 per hour and $55.00 per page. So, for example, a 250-page
book at $55 per page, the labor cost would be $13,750.

JoAnn Hackos has stated that the industry average across all types of
high-tech information appears to be 7 or 8 hours per page. You should
account for the following in your calculations:

1. Managing the project
2. Research and interviews
3. Writing and editing
4. Illustrating