Re: STC bene's revisited

Subject: Re: STC bene's revisited
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 11:12:35 -0800

Michele Davis wrote:

> Personally, I don't like the meetings, here in the TC it cultivates a lot of
> real losers (what I mean by that is that the demographic group by and large
> doesn't listen to cool music, have a tattoo, a weave, an alternative lifestyle,
> anything interesting to say, etc.)

It's not relevant to tech writing, but I can't resist mentioning
that one of the strangest people I know is a Roman Catholic monk who
is a travelling book-seller and writes poetry in his spare time. The
last time I saw him, he was a volunteer aide-de-camp to the exile
King of Rwuanda, and was leading my spouse and I on a brandy-enhazed
trip through the streets of one of the poorer parts of Vancouver
with him in full evening wear with him singing "Lydia the Tatooed
Lady" at the top of his lungs.

By contrast, I've met pagan Goths who, aside from their beliefs and
clothing, had the hearts and spirits of accountants nearing
retirement age.

The cover, in short, is rarely the whole story.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"People gonna judge you by the company you choose,
And I can't be seen with somebody who's got the wrong tatoos."
- OysterBand, "Don't Slit Your Wrists for Me"