RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: Melanie Shook <mshook -at- com2001 -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 16:22:48 -0600

Maggie Secara wrote:<<I gave up trying to b-s my way into a job long long
ago. Mainly because once you say you can do something, you're expected to
be able to do it, and do it without having to ask for lessons. Don't people
who do this feel nervous all the time, and uncomfortable at work, knowing
that one day they're going to have to deliver?>>

People who do this are probably trying to avoid the catch-22 of
don't-have-experience-can't-get-a-job-without-experience. I don't think it's
necessary to lie - if you have the confidence to assert that you can handle
what the job requires, the ability to back it up, and the sense to do some
preliminary research before the interview. Many times I have been willing to
take on a job I've never done before and just figure it out - and I always
deliver <g>.

Having experience doing a particular activity does not guarantee success -
and not having experience does not guarantee failure. If it did, how would
any of us succeed?

I wouldn't ever submit a sample that wasn't my own, or add skills to my
resume I don't have - but I do tailor my resume for each job opening, to
highlight which of my skills match what the employer is looking for.

Melanie Shook