RE: Displays versus Appears-Which One?

Subject: RE: Displays versus Appears-Which One?
From: Melanie Shook <mshook -at- com2001 -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 13:42:51 -0600

Dan Hall wrote:<<...I tie the display of the dialog/menu/whatnot with its
intended use:

1) From the XX menu, click the YY button. When the ZZ dialog box displays,
choose your flavor from the FlavorList.>>

I like Dan's solution (whether you choose to use displays, opens, or
appears), but the reason I keep a separate sentence is that I insert a
screen shot between "The ZZ dialog appears" and "In the ZZ dialog box, click
whatever." To me, it makes more sense if the dialog is mentioned before it
is shown on the page, and then the instruction follows.

I suspect it's a matter of stylistic preference, like the choice of verb,
and possibly a function of the page layout in my template.

Melanie Shook