RE: conference fees

Subject: RE: conference fees
From: "David Berg" <dberg -at- dmpnet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 10:57:41 -0600

> Believe me, I am not advocating for charging the speakers - as a matter of
> fact, I was known for challenging that practice just about every year. But
> each time the argument was that we are a non-profit, we have about 30
> speakers and 250 attendees - can we really afford to let 10 - 15% of the
> people in for free (let alone paying them)?

>From what's been said on this list, it sounds like the STC might give a
little more thought to how much their policy might be costing them in
non-monetary terms. They are alienating some of their most experienced
members, the ones who are willing to be active and contribute to the group.
This adds significant value to the rest of the members, and it's very
difficult to recover this asset (active, knowledgeable members) once it's
lost.

David Berg