RE: The Business of Conferences

Subject: RE: The Business of Conferences
From: "Carnall, Jane" <Jane -dot- Carnall -at- compaq -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 16:44:03 -0000

Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com wrote:
> It strikes me, after reviewing a number of posts in this thread, that the
> STC should be put in contact with a few experienced Science Fiction
> Convention runners. (There may even be a few with concom experience within
> the sound of my keyboard right now, dare I suggest even a SMOF or two?)

Bruce Byfield responded:
>Science fiction conventions went through a similar period over a decade
>ago when Harlan Ellison and a number of other writers decided that they
>would no longer attend conventions unless they were paid to do so.

GoH at science fiction cons are paid travelling expenses, their hotel costs
while they attend (and often for a grace period around the convention,
particularly if they're flying transatlantic), and usually their meals are
included in with the hotel room. Though this partly depends on how much the
convention can afford. GoHs who want to be paid for attending are simply not
invited: their choice. (New writers are often pointed at conventions by
their publishers, as a good way to promote sales: old writers often come
back because they have a good time: what Harlan Ellison didn't seem to
realise was that the last thing anyone wants at a con is a guest who is
really not having a good time and is only there because they're being paid
to be there.)

But a science-fiction convention is not wholly dependent on the GoH. You can
have a good convention where everyone has a great time without any GoH at
all: what you *do* need is a large group of people who want to attend to
convention and have a good time and are all prepared to do their part to
make sure that happens: and that includes the vast majority of people who
speak on panels and do gopher work - they pay their membership fees and turn
up and work, because they know that without them there wouldn't be a
convention.

But that's Fandom for you... <g> How to transmit that enthusiasm to
something like the STC, I do not know.

Jane Carnall
Technical Writer, Compaq, UK
Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and mine alone.