Re: The Business of Conferences

Subject: Re: The Business of Conferences
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 17:09:41 +0000

"Carnall, Jane" wrote:

> GoH at science fiction cons are paid travelling expenses, their hotel costs
> while they attend (and often for a grace period around the convention,
> particularly if they're flying transatlantic), and usually their meals are
> included in with the hotel room.

Sorry - I should have mentioned this. In addition, anyone who
participates on panels gets a free membership.

> convention can afford. GoHs who want to be paid for attending are simply not
> invited: their choice.

A bit of an over-generalization. After Ellison took his stance, several
conventions did meet his request. But, of course, Ellison is an
experienced and vastly entertaining speaker, so he is in a much better
position to negotiate than the average guest.

>what Harlan Ellison didn't seem to
> realise was that the last thing anyone wants at a con is a guest who is
> really not having a good time and is only there because they're being paid
> to be there.)

Ellison never said that he didn't enjoy himself. If you've ever heard
him talk, it's reasonably obvious that he loves being on stage. He
simply wanted to be paid for his professional services.

> But that's Fandom for you... <g> How to transmit that enthusiasm to
> something like the STC, I do not know.

A large difference is that fandom is unabashedly amateur. It doesn't
claim to be a professional organization.

--
Bruce Byfield bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com