RE: Tugging on Superman's Cape

Subject: RE: Tugging on Superman's Cape
From: Marguerite Krupp <mkrupp -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 09:18:01 -0500

Andrew's recent post:
<snip>
STC doesn't want writers like me. I am a content-phile. STC is squarely
situated on the "communication" side of tech writing. Until they start
working
to deal with content related issues, there just isn't any place for me.
Meetings about the exciting world of gerunds just don't turn my crank.
</snip>

...raises an interesting point (which is why I read his stuff, no matter how
aggravating it may be). The common thread in STC *is* communication. People
from all sorts of technical specialties belong to it.

I am also a "content-phile." My *technical* specialties, currently
telecommunications and networking, are often better served by other
societies, such as ACM, and by independent coursework, reading, etc.

The point is that as technical writers, our job is *not* exclusively either
technical or communication, but BOTH, and we need to keep up to date on the
tools, techniques, trends, and developments in both areas. Oh, yes, and we
also need to have a good dose of human relations skills, too... the hardest
of all, for many of us.

Unfortunately, I don't have infinite time. I choose to have a life outside
of work, so I have to choose carefully where I spend my time. Since I get a
lot of cutting-edge technology info at work, I have focused on the STC as my
primary outside, work-related organization. (I have belonged to ACM in the
past.) It really *is*, as Keith said, a matter of finding what works for
you.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am an Associate Fellow of the STC.

Marguerite