Re: Tugging on Superman's Cape

Subject: Re: Tugging on Superman's Cape
From: "Tracy Boyington" <tracy_boyington -at- okcareertech -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 11:40:26 -0600

>> Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com> 12/14/00 05:04PM >>>
>> By whom? You, and some others on this list. So what? Chocolate is
>> disrespected by some vanilla-lovers.

>True. However, there are a fair number of writers who really don't like STC.
>STC should make an effort to reach out to those writers rather than just
>maintain the status quo.

Maybe, maybe not. It depends on STC's goals, and those of its current membership. One could draw an analogy to techwr-l, which occasionally suffers through a spate of whiny "hey, this list doesn't work the way *I* want it to work, it should be changed!" posts. Those who want a different kind of list, or a different kind of professional organization for technical communicators, are clearly free to form one on their own. That doesn't mean the exisiting organization should change just to meet the needs of a few disgruntled members -- or even less realistic, the needs of a few disgruntled non-members. Unless, of course, STC's goal is to gain more members by whatever means necessary.

> STC doesn't want writers like me. I am a content-phile. STC is squarely
> situated on the "communication" side of tech writing. Until they start working
> to deal with content related issues, there just isn't any place for me.

Since technical communicators work in so many different content areas, one organization could never hope to deal with all of those issues. As another poster said, the one thing we all have in common is the communication aspect of our jobs, and that's what STC addresses. The various other halves of our jobs, for the most part, have their own professional organizations we can join.

Tracy
disclosure: I am a former member of STC

Tracy Boyington tracy_boyington -at- okcareertech -dot- org
Oklahoma Department of Career & Technology Education
Stillwater, OK http://www.okvotech.org/cimc