RE: Features of a well-written procedure

Subject: RE: Features of a well-written procedure
From: "Le Vie, DonaldX S" <donaldx -dot- s -dot- le -dot- vie -at- intel -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 13:38:55 -0800

I agree with Tom's assessment for using the 7 +/- 2 rule. This rule helps
frame information into easily digestable "chunks" (to coin an Information
Mapping term), so long as the information can fit into the 7 +/- 2 rule
criteria. Some objects just don't fit the container, so you build a new
container.

I do, however, disagree with Tom's statement that the rule is a "design
tool, not a documentation tool." The design element goes hand-in-hand with
the documentation, just like how white space--a design element--plays an
invisible role in helping to impart information. The use of numbers or
various text elements in headings are design elements, yet they help users
navigate through the hierarchy of information contained in the all-inclusive
term, "documentation."

Whenever I had a project that included task lists (not that many in
microprocessor product documentation), I did everything I could to try to
fit the number of steps into the rule; BUT, if it can't work, it can't work.
I don't think we can be absolutists in this profession on every rule for
every instance all of the time.

I'm certified in the IM methodology, though not necessarily a
foaming-at-the-mouth disciple of it. However, I've done the usabilty testing
with hundreds of readers/users/doers, and in nearly every case they
preferred most of the "design" elements of the IM method (which includes the
7 +/- 2 rule). But as Tom does mention, there are times when you have to
determine if the rule increases or decreases the complexity of the task or
comprehension.

I can only offer up the hard results of usabilty testing and my own
experience to support the validity of the 7 +/- 2 rule.

Donn Le Vie