Re: FWD: How to handle interesting contract situation

Subject: Re: FWD: How to handle interesting contract situation
From: "Elna Tymes" <etymes -at- lts -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 17:55:58 -0800

anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com wrote:

> Anyway, the question. I gave my comittment to the extension. However,
> with things as I've described, and with what appears to be happening,
> would you stick around or would you end your existing contract as
> planned at the at of the year.

What have you got to lose by sticking around? You're the only one left with any
background knowledge of the company's products and processes. As such, you're
very much capable of exerting lot of influence over what comes next, including
hiring the replacements and, incidentally, your own rate and working conditions.

You may hear a lot from those who left about the spooks in the company's
closets, or how this or that manager is [enter your own negative
characteristic]. While those things may be true, they're probably irrelevant to
you being able to do your job. As long as you can get the job done, and can get
paid for your work, that's what contracting is about.

It takes a lot for us to walk away from a contract, largely because we know that
our reputation tends to follow us around. One bad apple may make your life
difficult, but if you can carry on in a professional manner despite the bad
apple, others will notice and probably remember. And the way this business
works, you'll probably run into some of those others later, in other companies.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems