Other proposals

Subject: Other proposals
From: "Herman Holtz" <h -dot- holtz -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 11:15:25 -0500

Like most others who specialize in proposal work, I always think of
proposals as those I write in pursuit of federal government contracts.
That's an immediate mistake. We should be thinking of at least four other
kinds of proposals. You can divide that further into a great many more than
four others, but here are the five broad categories I refer to:

1. Federal agencies contractv proposals.
2. Federal grants and loans proposals.
3. State and local government proposals.
4. Foreign government proposals (tenders).
5. Book proposals.

Probably none of you will be interested in all these. I am not,
normally, although I have been involved in writing proposals of each kind at
one time or another. Of course, with over 80 books published, each written
under contract, I had to write more than 80 book proposals, so I can claim a
bit of expertise there, I suppose. I have written in the other categories on
a much more limited scale, and I suppose it is possible that I will never be
called upon to work in the other categories again, but we must recognize
that they exist. Numerically, the federal contract proposals are small in
number, compared with some of the other types.

Here, in discussing proposals, we will encounter differences. Truths for
grant proposals, for example, are likely to be at variance with at least
some of the truths of contract proposals. It's important to know that.

I have a suspicion that there is going to be a pretty good reservoir of
interest in how to write an effective book proposal. Not a great deal of
useful information has been published on the subject as yet.
- Herm