Re: Web Publication Rights

Subject: Re: Web Publication Rights
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 12:24:22 -0800

"H.Durstling" wrote:

> Have any list members run into a similar conundrum? Any suggestions what
> might be a reasonable charge or price range? Just to recap, the originals
> were full magazine page in size, hand-lettered, with hand-drawn maps, a few
> with original sketches, text on average say 500 words.
>
> Any suggestions at all will be very helpful and welcome, on or off list.

For a print publication, you could easily sell each map for
something between $200 and $1000. Web publication generally pays
less, so you'd probably be looking at $150 to $300 apiece from a
paying web site. However, many web publishers have the idea that
people are doing the work for its own sake, so don't be surprised if
you're offered far less.

If the maps have ongoing value, you might want to arrange for a pay
per view charge (probably measured in cents), or perhaps limit the
time that the site can use them without paying you again. You could
even agree to update the maps periodically, and make them a steady,
if small source of income for you.

You should also specify that the fee is for on-line use only, and
that reprinting them in a brochure or print article is another use
of the maps that needs to be negotiated separately.

Whatever you decide, get a contract, or at least a letter of
agreement outlining the basic points. That's the sort of precaution
that benefits both parties.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"Last and most important question: Did Valerie have time to do the
chocolate coating?"
- S. Morgenstern, "Buttercup's Baby"