Re: Convince vs. Persuade (WAS: Displays versus Appears )

Subject: Re: Convince vs. Persuade (WAS: Displays versus Appears )
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 09:14:49 -0800

Herman Holtz wrote:

> A most significant observation, and one that has caused me to abandon
> the exactly right word because it was exactly right for my ears only,
> apparently. The word was "epitomizes," and not even the group editor could
> define the word correctly. Makes me want to grin my teeth (if I had any
> left) in anger at myself for the wasted effort in building a large and
> largely useless vocabualry. - Herm

However, to reverse my argument of yesterday, there are
compensations for a large vocabulary. Several writers (Robert Graves
and Avram Davidson, the great American fantasist, are the first two
that come to mind) prided themselves on their precise vocabulary.
Robert Graves even tried to choose his words with an eye to their
historical useage. So, if you are aware of the distinctions, you can
read these writers with the added pleasure of appreciating their
virtuoso performances.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"When Laertes heard his Dad has been stabbed in the arras,
He came racing back to Elsinore tout suite, hotfoot from Paris,
And Ophelia, with her Dad killed by the man she wished to marry,
After saying it with flowers, committed hari-kari."
- Adam McNaughton, "Our Hamlet" ("The Three Minute Hamlet")