RE: oddball Word questions (involving making multiple documents into one book)

Subject: RE: oddball Word questions (involving making multiple documents into one book)
From: "Kim McGarghan" <kmcgarghan -at- nssolutions -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 14:41:39 -0500

WARNING: I am posting this in more than one place, so go ahead and delete
it if you've seen it already! By all means, reply to me off-list if you
prefer to save unnecessary traffic. Let me begin by saying that I've
searched the MS Word site, the archives, and http://www.askjeeves.com.

I've been using Word and/or other word processing software for 20 years, so
I'm feeling REALLY stupid and irritated by not being able to figure this
out. [My boss recently bought me FrameMaker, and when I've worked my way
through Mastering FrameMaker 6.0, Thomas Neuberger, I'll gladly convert over
to that! But I'm stuck with Word in the meantime.] I am in the process of
finishing up a 300-page-plus user manual in Word 2000. Because of the
length of the document, to say nothing of the size of the files due to
graphics, I have split the document into several separate files.

I have the following problems:

(a) I'd like each separate chapter's figures to continue numbering in
sequence. Example: Chapter 2 has 49 figures; I'd like the first figure in
Chapter 3 to begin as Figure 50. I haven't found a way to do this other
than manually numbering the figures. Am I missing something?

(b) I'd like to have a comprehensive Table of Contents that covers all the
chapters. I am following instructions found in a mail posted by Linda
Merrifield, 05 February 1998,
http://listserv.okstate.edu/CGI/WA.EXE?A2=ind9802A&L=techwr-l&P=R12833 (for
an earlier version of Word) to the techwr-l -at- listserv -dot- okstate -dot- edu -dot- (I'm
having a few problems but I may be able to work around them. On the other
hand, if someone knows how to do it in Word 2000 and tells me, I'll be
grateful.)

[(c) I also have to create my first index, but that's more a problem of
psychology than of application, since people on this list and others have
already kindly pointed out the "how-to" indexing information for Word.]

(d) I have to post the sections onto our web site sometime very soon. I'm
trying to get the hyperlinks to work across the documents, and sometimes
they simply WON'T. Do I have to set each one as a bookmark in each file and
then make the relative links work? I daren't set them as absolute links
because their URLs will change once they're posted. The files are presently
nested on my network in one folder.

[(e) I will also post these chapters in PDF format as well, which I'm sure
will cause its own set of joys and heartaches. I may be asking questions
about that, too.]

If you prefer and can recommend the best and most comprehensive Word 2000
book ever, I'd also be grateful. Searching on the web (www.fatbrain.com),
the most promising seem to be:

Special Edition Using Microsoft Word 2000 with CD ROM
By Camarda, Bill
List Price: $39.99
1402 Pages
Published by QUE
Date Published: 05/1999
ISBN: 0789718529

Mastering Word 2000 Premium Edition, Second Edition
By Miller, Michael
Special Price: $31.95
List Price: $39.99
1200 Pages
Published by Sybex
Date Published: 03/2000
ISBN: 0782126626

Yours desperately, yet with a sense of humor,

"If you care enough, you can have an impact." Harry Chapin

Kim McGarghan
Senior Technical Writer
Network Storage Solutions, Inc.
14020 Thunderbolt Place, Suite 500
Chantilly, VA 20151
(703) 834-2234 (work)
(703) 834-2221 (fax)
mailto:kmcgarghan -at- nssolutions -dot- com
http://www.nssolutions.com