RE: Pseudowriters--processes show you're learning

Subject: RE: Pseudowriters--processes show you're learning
From: "Sella Rush" <sellar -at- mail -dot- apptechsys -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 20:00:37 -0800

Some very good points, Bonnie. Too bad no one seems to be reading them.

Andrew's bugaboo is, as always, an extreme perspective of a really quite
reasonable position. We all know people who are absolutely paralyzed by a
lack of processes and standards. While some work situations may call for or
at least accomodate people who spend significant amounts of time developing
their routine before setting a single word on paper, most employers won't
tolerate it.

So in the real world, we often have to work without processes or a plan set
in stone. But this isn't just a necessary evil. Processes and standards
must be tested and revised by real work. So putting in significant planning
time up front is often a waste of time. Do some quick and dirty planning up
front and then revise as you go.

I really liked Bonnie's comment that planning and processes are a sign that
you're learning, improving. (At least I think that was her point.) And what
this is really saying is that the process evolves over time. It is not set
in stone and then followed religiously, but it evolves. It evolves along
with the need of the individual.