RE: Post-holiday reality: They don't need our stinkin' manuals??

Subject: RE: Post-holiday reality: They don't need our stinkin' manuals??
From: Ken Bowes <KBowes -at- dacg -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 11:02:33 -0600

<Yep, Check Engine light written up right there by some wonderful tech
writer. Nothing more than bad gas. <G> Whew. Saved me a trip to the auto
mechanic.>

When I first saw this dashboard light my imediate thoughts were similar to
yours:

<I freak! Oh no! I need to check my engine. It's still running at least.>

However, this was a fairly new car, less than three months old. What in
tarnation was going on?? A check of the manual, (it's been a while since
this happened mind you and my memory may not be perfect) indicated that it
was either time for a service, or there was something drastically wrong and
the engine should be turned off at once to prevent serious damage.

On a new car!!??

That didn't make me feel too confident about what may happen if the car ever
made it to five or ten years old. When all was said and done, it turned out
to be a faulty light!! But that was after the dealer service station tried
to tell me that new parts were required for the fuel injection system
because the gasoline had a constituent that caused gum build-up in the fuel
system, and that wasn't covered by warranty!!

The owners manual didn't say anything about the dealer service departments!

Hope everyone has a Happy and Prosperous New Year.

Ken Bowes

Sponsored by an
anonymous satisfied subscriber since 1994.