Re: Post-holiday reality: They don't need our stinkin' manuals??

Subject: Re: Post-holiday reality: They don't need our stinkin' manuals??
From: Jo Francis Byrd <jbyrd -at- byrdwrites -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 12:07:37 -0600

I have my own Check Engine Light story - it was the trip from Hell.

I was on the way to visit my sister when I saw a flash of light on the
dashboard; it looked like a reflection off a mirror - only there wasn't a semi
(the only thing big enough to produce that flash from a distance) in sight. It
took several more flashes before I could isolate the source, and several more
before it came on. And stayed on.

Stopped in a small town, found an open garage. The mechanic looked at the car,
didn't find anything wrong, it would cost $25 to put the computer on it. So? Put
the blankety-blank thing on! I had a burned out fan motor; to my relief, they
found the part and installed it. Delayed me about an hour, but that was OK,
better late than never, that's why we have phones, we can call and let people
know.

Left, drove maybe a mile and the light came back on again. Stopped at the next
town, found a garage still open, except it was 5 PM and they were in the process
of closing. The mechanic told me I didn't have to worry about the car stranding
me at the side of the road, it was one of two things: either the computer needed
to be reset (remove the battery cables for half an hour and when you put them
back, the computer resets to the defaults), or the sensor itself was faulty. In
any case, the car was safe to drive, but when I got back home I did need to get
it checked.

Turns out the sensor had gone out, but it was a nerve racking drive, not knowing
for sure. The visit, when I got there, was great, but it was definitely the trip
from hell!

Jo Byrd

Ken Bowes wrote:

> <Yep, Check Engine light written up right there by some wonderful tech writer.
> Nothing more than bad gas. <G> Whew. Saved me a trip to the auto mechanic.>
>
> When I first saw this dashboard light my imediate thoughts were similar to
> yours:
>
> <I freak! Oh no! I need to check my engine. It's still running at least.>
>
> However, this was a fairly new car, less than three months old. What in
> tarnation was going on?? A check of the manual, (it's been a while since this
> happened mind you and my memory may not be perfect) indicated that it was
> either time for a service, or there was something drastically wrong and the
> engine should be turned off at once to prevent serious damage.
>
> On a new car!!??
>
> That didn't make me feel too confident about what may happen if the car ever
> made it to five or ten years old. When all was said and done, it turned out
> to be a faulty light!! But that was after the dealer service station tried to
> tell me that new parts were required for the fuel injection system because the
> gasoline had a constituent that caused gum build-up in the fuel system, and
> that wasn't covered by warranty!!
>
> The owners manual didn't say anything about the dealer service departments!
>
> Hope everyone has a Happy and Prosperous New Year.

Sponsored by an
anonymous satisfied subscriber since 1994.