Re: anyone else in the same boat? (Long)

Subject: Re: anyone else in the same boat? (Long)
From: barry batorsky <bbatorsk -at- nj -dot- devry -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 12:16:11 -0500

Joan,

A second excellent post in this thread. This time from a talented stylist,
too. For me, your post has the characteristics of good writing in any
genre: control of style and command of coherence, without fear of either.
As you wrote, and will no doubt have occassion to write again: "There have
been other affirming occasions as well, such as outside auditors
complimenting the quality and organization of our documentation."

One caution: Be sure your "teachers," on techwr-l or in the classroom,
don't teach you to fear or to roll over for "experienced" writers,
"experts," or your audience. I say this because you wrote, "I realize
that these people [auditors] are not the best judges of technical writing, but
for someone with my lack of experience and education, even becoming an adept
window dresser seems somewhat of an accomplishment."
One word on evaluating your customers: They know what works for them, and
doesn't work for them, but they often can't tell you why, or whether there
isn't an even better product or process. Good writers, and good people it
seems, do their work for others in the space between perceived needs and
real needs. Maybe because you are an "adept" writer, you sense that the
"naive" auditors know what works for their people, but not necessarily why
or how it is done. On that dilemma, may I suggest you look at
constructivist learning concepts. There are plenty of sites on line which
discuss this basic teacher/student relationship.

Welcome to the field. It needs you.

Just my opinion,
Barry

Sponsored by an
anonymous satisfied subscriber since 1994.