re: Oh those tender users

Subject: re: Oh those tender users
From: "Christensen, Kent" <lkchris -at- sandia -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 16:27:43 -0700

re: If you do not understand the technologies and topics you're documenting
you're doing the greatest disservice possible to your beloved users. You're
feeding them incomplete or inaccurate information.

"Complete" and "accurate" are likely situational. But anyway, this is an
interesting thread about technical writers, and I suppose "complete" and
"accurate" are often indeed considered essential in our view of what this
profession is. Since it's a new year, I assume, I'm feeling philosophical,
too. So ... what about science writers? What's the difference between
technical writers and science writers? Here's an article by a science
writer that I'm willing to bet is incomplete and inaccurate. It's pretty
interesting though, and it pleases this user.
http://www.observer.co.uk/life/story/0,6903,416412,00.html

Here's another actually about a science writer or a scientist if you must.
Includes things like "she is an unapologetic populariser" and "(her) main
project in life is to make us all more cerebral in our interests."
http://www.observer.co.uk/review/story/0,6903,416434,00.html

Somehow, I'd like to go beyond step one, step two this year. Is there a way
to do that in a manual or help system?

Sponsored by an
anonymous satisfied subscriber since 1994.