RE: instructions begin again

Subject: RE: instructions begin again
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 13:04:44 -0800 (PST)

Salette...you raise a good point, one for which I don't know if I
have answer.

Yes...there were bike accidents, two which resulted in death.
However, most of the serious bike accidents (and both deaths) were
the results of not bike riding, but bike abuse. One, if the kid had
been a car, he would have had his license revoked for driving twice
the speed limit in a 25 zone (brand new bike, 10 speed, steep hill,
ending at the intersection of a busy highway (RT 36 in NJ).

In the same vein, the 11 year old that got burned with oil that I
mentioned did so because he took the pan off the stove, held it at
waist level, and threw a glass of water into smoking hot oil to cool
it off.

The problem isn't when someone expereinced of ANY age follows
instructions. I come from an Italian family and I happen to be a very
good cook (works out great...I like to cook and my girlfriend hates
it, I hate to wash dishes and she doesn't mind). I'd be all for any
10 year old (or 9, or 8, or 7) learning to cook with an adult.
However, under a certain age, they don't have the accumulation of
expereince to know what to do when something outside of the
directions occurs when they are by themselves.

I think someone had mentioned about their 7 year old who had a fire
in a pan, but thankfully, he was around to throw baking powder into
it (or something like that). That's fine..that's why they should be
encouraged to perform adult acts, but be supervised while performing
them. My problem with a 10 year old cooking is not that they know how
to cook....he should. Its whether he knows how to recover from
serious errors.

> Didn't you see just as many (or more) accidents involving bicycles?
> Do you think that parents should wait until their children are
> in high school to
> allow them to ride a bike? (TW tie in: I got a bike for Christmas
> a few years ago, and there were warnings of death and dismemberment
> on every page!
> I couldn't believe that I had been letting my children use one of
> these death traps unsupervised! Shortly thereafter, my friend's
> 7-year-old did have a bike accident that left him in a coma.)

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer
"How to be happy in life: Never impose your beliefs
on anyone else and never fry bacon in the nude."
-- Anon

http://photos.yahoo.com/